Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Day One DONE! I am pooped! Birdland, Don't Tell Mama and Town House...hold crap.

Holy Crap.
It is 2:18am and I wanna write it ALL down while it is fresh...fuck...that 24 hour Diner across the street...not so 24 hours after all....asses....
I am spent my friends.
I belted the shit outta...the shit.
I have to watch that I don't fucking get the freaking vocal nodes...I was all singing "Home" in it's original key ...yes, from the Wiz...it was a request...fucking Stephanie Mills and her freak voice...I was singing that song with a big dude named Desmond...so nice and his friend Ricola...really...really..
..I bet he gets a lot of guff over that...anyhow...that was the END of the night.
The beginning started with me sitting at the bar at Birdland... after I had run 4 blocks from the Times Square subway station because the rain was wrecking my weave...I was meeting my PR person Don...he told me that if he was late that I should just talk to Jim Caruso, who runs the "Cast Party" night, and tell him I wanna sing.
Now I am going to tell you something that you might not believe...I am shy.
I really am.
In situations like that I am super shy.
But I did my best to be brave and step up...I did...he put me on the list to sing...he didn't know me...but he did it anyway.
When Don arrived, super nice guy by the way...and EVERYONE knows him...it is amazing...when he walks into a club it is like Norm from Cheers...one woman screamed out "Hey Don!" in the middle of "Don't Blame the Bossanova"...Don had a plan..yes, he did.
We sat at that bar for a while...a lot of performers got up, time ticked by and as performer after performer got up I got more nervous.
It is so much easier to do a WHOLE SHOW.
One song....is like doing one day on a TV show or a movie....font font font....(Say that like a fancy french person....)
The wait was just horrifying...the room was so packed and this would really be my first cabaret appearance in NY...I hoped to NOT cock it up...well, the longer I waited the more I came up with every horrible scenario...but when he did call me up...after some amazing performers...I was fit...just nerves...but I did the "Bohemian Rhapsody"...it went over.
Thank freaking jesus...Jim told me NO ONE has ever done that song...that was nice!
Oh lord...what a great moment...I got a ton of business cards...there were a couple Broadway producers in the house...it was a great time...
This is Jim Caruso and myself...
.

This is William Blake, who is not only a manager at Birdland, he is also a fantastic singer....


And this is Jenna Esposito, who runs the open mike at the swank Metropolitan Room...where I will be on Friday night!


Then we went to Don't Tell Mama...there is a great piano player named Joe Regan and we did a couple tunes...
I gotta tell you guys...the cabaret people who Don introduced me to COULD NOT be more welcoming...COULD NOT!!! Encouraging...taking the cards...that Don hands out...what a concept...not having to sell myself outside of performing...LUXURY!!
Then We got into a cab and we went to a very swanky gay club named "Town House" and that is what it is...the player there...a gentleman named Steven doesn't read music so we jammed on "Stop in the Name of Love" ....and then Desmond and Ricola asked for "Home" and now we are back where we started...I am pooped...what a night.
I am gonna sleep the eff in...I gotta pace myself...
I am so glad that went well...
I love it here.

No comments: